Location: Bethlehem House
General terms of employment equivalent to level 3 security services from $23.31 p/hr plus casual loading, up to $52.45 (Sunday rates)
Includes tax free salary sacrifice earnings of up to $15,900 annually.
Up to $2,650 in meal/ entertainment tax free earnings
Salary Packaged Novated lease scheme available
Terms: Casual on a rostered basis
Employee Assistance Service
Responsible to: Senior Support Worker
- To monitor the overnight safety and security of Bethlehem House and to provide emergency assistance to our residents.
- To monitor via CCTV cameras
- To provide security and secure entry to our emergency bed service after hours
- To carry out routine overnight cleaning and hygiene tasks with minimal noise disruption
- To carry out overnight laundry tasks
- To work within guidelines, policies and procedures to provide clients with a safe secure shelter environment.
- To keep monitoring records.
1. To maintain a safe shelter environment for clients and staff.
a) Difficult situations and clients dealt with appropriately and effectively including after hours emergency support services (eg: Police, Ambulance, “call-in” support) contacted to provide assistance where deemed necessary
b) Diffusion of potentially volatile situations
c) Incidents dealt with, reported and documented in accordance with policies, procedures and guidelines
d) Personal emergency equipment including portable telephone and Duress Alarm to be carried on person at all times.
e) Relevant issues and client information passed on at staff changeover times in accordance with established guidelines
f) Implementation of emergency evacuation procedures
2. Contributing to the success of the House’s services to men as a team member through constructive input, communication, professional approach to work and co-operation and respect for co-workers and management.
3. To assist with maintaining a hygienically clean residential and workplace environment by performing routine overnight cleaning and laundry duties
Desirable Knowledge & Skills:
- Previous substantial experience in a similar role with security responsibilities in a vulnerable persons setting
- Operation of desktop CCTV surveillance
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances, remain calm and control emergency situations including management of clients who are agitated or distressed.
- Knowledge and understanding of confidentiality issues.
- Understanding and support of the Vision, Mission and values and principles of the organisation.
- A Medical check, a credit check and the maintenance of a clear national police check will be required for this position.
- This role requires the staff member to be able to ascend and descend stairs, as a core part of their role, to support men in first floor rooms.
- This role requires the support worker to have excellent vision (including corrected with spectacles) in order to monitor CCTV, conduct bag searches and observe carry out night time perimeter checks.
- Empathy for individuals living with homelessness, drug and/or alcohol, psychiatric, gambling and correctional and/or justice issues.
- Maintenance of up-to-date Security Guard licence
- Certificate / qualification in cleaning competence
- First Aid Certificate
- Able to relate to clients and to respect individual rights and individual differences in values and culture.
- Ability to remain vigilant and and exercise initiative if required
- Well-developed oral communication skills
Bethlehem House is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all persons regardless of background, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, religion, status or distinguishing characteristic.