Location: Bethlehem House
Location: Bethlehem House
To give emotional and general assistance;
to assist clients in performing daily tasks and improving overall independence and wellbeing
To maintain an inclusive and supportive environment
Core objectives include:
- Assist with the daily care of clients
- Perform housekeeping duties including cleaning, food preparation as required
- To provide client support in administration of medication including conducting Medication audits when required.
- Participate in the training and education of clients to care for themselves
- Breathalyse and urine test male client as required to ensure compliance.
- Assist in random room checking as required to ensure compliance.
- Ensuring residents carry out their allotted cleaning duties.
- Participate in case reviews to determine the needs and wellbeing of the client and to assist clients in fulfilling their case plans
- Improve wellbeing and independence of clients
- Accompany clients to participate in individual or group community activities as directed by Case Management Team
- Accompany clients to appointments as directed by Case Management Team
- To identify the immediate need(s) of presenting or re-presenting male client(s) after hours and meeting those needs in-house where possible, according to policy.
- To interact with clients by providing a listening ear, assisting with documents, organising, or delivering activities in-house and encouraging client participation
- To provide basic office, administrative and clerical duties and functions including yet not limited to the following:
- Phone etiquette, laminating, photocopying, filing etc
- Writing case notes, using and understanding SHIP data base
- Utilisation of Microsoft 365
- Using and understanding of the surveillance cameras and biometric system
- To collect and collate statistical data including the in-house Bed Sheet, SHIP statistics, Case Notes.
- Deal with difficult situations and male client appropriately and effectively including contacting after hours emergency support services (e.g., Police, Ambulance, call-in support) to provide assistance when deemed necessary.
- Utilise de-escalation techniques to diffuse potentially volatile situations
- Deal with, report and document incidents in accordance with established policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Implement emergency evacuation procedures. At all times dealing with the male client with dignity and respect.
- Liaise with emergency services as Warden when working on a stand alone shift.
- Pass on all relevant issues and client information at staff changeover times in accordance with established guidelines.
- Inform case management team of client appointments, or associated changes, new assessments , any information crucial to the smooth operation of services to clients.
- Communicate and circulate information to management as required.
- To inform clients of the House’s case management processes and make an appointment on the next business day with a case worker.
- Contribute to the success of the House’s services to male client as a team member through constructive input, communication, professional approach to work and co-operation and respect for co-workers and management.
- To participate in the intake process for new or re-presenting male client(s).
- To complete initial intake details after hours in order to gain early and ongoing information for the provision of individual client services.
- To contribute to the monitoring of case planning and of individual case plans.
- To attend staff meetings and team development activities
- The above list is not exhaustive and the role may change to meet the overall objectives of the company.
- Fulfil other duties as required by management and other department personnel as requested/required
- Contribute to one’s own professional development.
- Professional approach
- Ability to work under pressure
- Organisational and time management skills
- Showing respect, compassion, honesty and understanding
- Strategic thinking
- Positive approach to change
- IT literacy
Must be male.*
Being male is a genuine operational requirement of working with male client who require crisis accommodation and other services provided by Bethlehem House. Staff members in these roles all have regular personal contact with male client escaping domestic and family violence. Support workers are required to enter bedrooms, toilet and shower facilities when they are on stand-alone shifts. Support staff also take an active role in encouraging the male client to maintain personal hygiene.
This role requires the staff member to be able to ascend and descend stairs, as a core part of their role, to support men in first floor rooms.
- At least Certificate 2 in Disability or Community development
- 1 year of community sector experience an advantage but not essential
Skills & competencies
- Customer service focused: committed to providing exceptional customer service across all channels – written, phone and face to face
- Communication: the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, varying communication style depending upon the audience
- Trauma informed: Skilled I trauma informed ways of working which recognize and respond to clients affected by a history of trauma
- Teamwork: willingness to assist and support others as required and get on with all team members in a professional and personable manner
- Time management/organisation: accomplish objectives effectively within time frame given, and carry out administrative duties within portfolio in an efficient and timely manner
- Professional approach (essential)
- Confident manner (essential)
- Positive approach to change (essential)
- Maintenance of a current clear National Clear Police Check (essential)
- Working with Vulnerable Persons Card (essential)
- Abiding by Common Law ( essential)
- Compliance with the Tasmanaian Disability services legislation 2015
- First Aid Responder (essential) or willing to acquire immediately
- Proof of current full clear driver’s licence
- Experience working with homeless men (desirable)
This job description serves to illustrate the scope and responsibilities of the post and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties. You will be expected to perform other job related tasks requested by management and as necessitated by the development of this role and the development of the business.
Applications must be received by: